I’ve always been a fan of science fiction movies. There aren’t very many movie that feature the planet Venus, and most of them are really bad. That said, here are some notable movies that feature Venus in some way.
1. Queen of Outer Space (1958) – When a movie like this is #1 on a list, you know the list is in trouble. A crew of four men (ironically wearing uniforms from the famous “Forbidden Planet”, one of the best science films of all time) crash on Venus and find a planet of only women, including Zsa Zsa Gabor. Played seriously and not as bad as you might guess.
2. 20 Million Miles to Earth (1957) – A probe sent to Venus returns with a small lizard-like Ymir creature. It doesn’t stay small or friendly for very long. Stop motion special effects by the famous Ray Harryhausen.
3. Abbott and Costello Go to Mars (1953) – Yes, the title is correct. Lester (Bud Abbott) and Orville (Lou Costello) accidentally get on a space ship and end up on Venus. Venus has only beautiful women. You’d suspect this is a spoof of “Queen of Outer Space” but this film came five years earlier.
4. Stranger from Venus (1954) – An obscure film that is essentially a low budget remake of the 1951 classic “The Day the Earth Stood Still”. Minus the cool robot, flying saucer, and special effects. Stars Patricia Neal who I actually met while working on a cruise ship in my younger days.
5. Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women (1968) – The planet is Venus. This is a re-editing of the 1962 Russian “Planeta Bur” with the addition of some women wearing clam-shell swim suits. The special effects are decent. There was also an earlier re-editing of “Planeta Bur” titled “Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet” (1965) with Basil Rathbone.
6. First Spaceship on Venus (1962) – This movie is a re-editing of the 1960 Polish East German film “The Silent Star”. For some reason this movie always gave me nightmares, especially the scene where black goo chases the space crew up the ramp around a conical tower. Quite scary.
7. Target Earth (1954) – A small group of people in Chicago wake up one morning and find the city deserted. It turns out that robots from Venus have invaded. Low budget but has some charm.
8. It Conquered the World (1956) – My list is getting desperate. A bad alien from Venus lands on Earth and hides out in a cave. The alien can’t conquer the cave, much less the World. The best part of the movie is the alien bat things which are much scarier than the alien himself.
9. Zontar, the Thing from Venus (1966) – About the only reason this movie made my list is that it has “Venus” in the title. This is a truly bad movie. Plot similar to “It Conquered the World”.
10. Outer Space Jitters (1957) – The Three Stooges (Moe, Larry, and Joe) travel to Venus (called “Sunev” — “Venus” backwards). The evil Venusian leader has plans to . . . well I’m not sure. It’s a Three Stooges thing. Features Dan Blocker, TV’s Hoss from Bonanza.
Far better than any of these movies is the “Venus series” of five science fiction books written by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Carson Napier tries to fly in his spaceship to Mars but ends up on Venus.