Zoltar is my NFL prediction computer program. Here are Zoltar’s predictions for week 2 of the 2016 NFL season:
Zoltar: jets by 0 dog = bills Vegas: bills by 0 Zoltar: redskins by 7 dog = cowboys Vegas: redskins by 2.5 Zoltar: patriots by 10 dog = dolphins Vegas: patriots by 6.5 Zoltar: bengals by 0 dog = steelers Vegas: steelers by 3.5 Zoltar: panthers by 11 dog = fortyniners Vegas: panthers by 13.5 Zoltar: lions by 8 dog = titans Vegas: lions by 6 Zoltar: ravens by 0 dog = browns Vegas: ravens by 6.5 Zoltar: chiefs by 0 dog = texans Vegas: texans by 2.5 Zoltar: giants by 4 dog = saints Vegas: giants by 4.5 Zoltar: seahawks by 0 dog = rams Vegas: seahawks by 6.5 Zoltar: cardinals by 7 dog = buccaneers Vegas: cardinals by 6.5 Zoltar: broncos by 8 dog = colts Vegas: broncos by 6 Zoltar: raiders by 4 dog = falcons Vegas: raiders by 5 Zoltar: chargers by 1 dog = jaguars Vegas: chargers by 3 Zoltar: vikings by 5 dog = packers Vegas: packers by 2.5 Zoltar: eagles by 0 dog = bears Vegas: bears by 3
Zoltar theoretically recommends betting when the Vegas line is more than 3 points different from Zoltar’s prediction. So for week 2:
1. Zoltar recommends betting on the Vegas favorite Redskins over the Cowboys. Zoltar believes the Redskins will cover the 2.5 point spread.
2. Zoltar recommends betting on the Vegas favorite Patriots over the Dolphins. Zoltar believes the Patriots will cover the 6.5 point spread.
3. Zoltar recommends betting on the Vegas underdog Bengals against the Steelers. Zoltar thinks the Steelers won’t cover the 3.5 point spread.
4. Zoltar recommends betting on the Vegas underdog Browns against the Ravens. Zoltar thinks the Ravens won’t cover the 6.5 point spread.
5. Zoltar recommends betting on the Vegas underdog Rams against the Seahawks. Zoltar thinks the Seahawks won’t cover the 6.5 point spread.
6. Zoltar recommends betting on the Vegas underdog Vikings against the Packers. Zoltar thinks the Vikings will win outright and easily cover the Packers -2.5 spread.
In week 1, Zoltar went 2-1 against the Vegas point spread.
Just for fun, I track how well Zoltar and Bing Predictions do when just trying to predict which team will win a game. This is a much easier problem than beating the Vegas point spread. In week 1, Zoltar was a poor 9-7 and Bing was also weak, going 8-8.
Zoltar sometimes predicts a 0-point margin of victory. In those situations, to pick a winner so I can compare against Bing, in the first four weeks of the season, Zoltar picks the home team to win. After week 4, Zoltar uses historical data.